Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies
I found this recipe ages ago and promptly printed it out so I could make it as soon as possible. Of course, when I found it earlier this week and remembered how excited I was to make them, I was forced to laugh at the fact that my initial excitement had been almost two years ago. Now, that either proves that I’m unorganized or that I have more recipes to try than I have time to make them. As I’ve always prided myself on my organizational skills, I’m going with the latter.
It is suggested with this recipe that it’s a good idea to make these brownies with high quality ingredients. I have to agree with that. These brownies are all about the chocolate, so use the best kind you’re willing to buy. Good quality chocolate is becoming more and more available these days. Most grocery stores will offer something besides Hershey’s, Baker’s, and Nestle. While my local grocery store is not that great, they do offer Ghirardelli. I also used Schokinag cocoa powder that I bought at our local cook’s store.
I made these brownies for New Years’ Eve, and the wonderful aroma that filled the kitchen was just heavenly. Few things offer a better smell than chocolate baking in the oven. If that weren’t enough, adding chocolate ganache just pushed them over the top.
I am usually not a straight chocolate brownie fan. I like some nuts or something thrown in for some added interest. Quinn is the chocolate purist around here. I expected him to love them, which he did, but I didn’t think I’d enjoy them quite so much. They are truly decadent. For all you chocolate lovers, these are a must for your recipe collection.
Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies
Yield: 16 2-inch brownies
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies are so delicious, rich, and decadent. A must for chocolate lovers!
For the brownies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter (plus more for preparing pan)
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the ganache:
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
To make the brownies:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter an 8-inch square glass baking pan and set aside.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at half power in 30 second intervals, stirring between each heating. Continue until both are completely melted.
- Sift the sugar and cocoa powder. Add to the butter/chocolate mixture. Beat in (by hand) the mascarpone, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth. Fold in the flour and salt.
- Pour the batter into pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on cooling rack.
To make the ganache:
- Place the chopped chocolate in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter and cream over medium heat, stirring constantly. When mixture is almost boiling, pour over the chocolate. Let stand for 30 seconds. Then, stir until smooth.
- Pour the ganache over cooled brownies and spread evenly.
- Allow the ganache to firm before cutting brownies. Brownies may be placed in refrigerator to expedite this.
Recipe slightly adapted from Food.com.