Peach Streusel Bread
As summer is winding down (yay!), it’s time to make the most of late summer fruits. Like peaches! I recently procured some big, beautiful peaches that I couldn’t wait to put to good baking use.
I had quick breads on my brain for a few days and thought peaches would be a perfect addition to a simple bread. Plus it gave me a good excuse to make a sweet, buttery, cinnamon-y topping. You can always sign me up for that.
There’s no great mystery surrounding the preparation of this bread. It’s made with a version of what’s called the muffin method. Just mix the dry ingredients and the sugar, add the wet ingredients, and stir. There’s no mixer necessary. In fact, you’ll get better results using just a big spoon to mix the batter because you’ll be less likely to overmix it.
The streusel topping is a simple combination of flour, oats, sugar, butter, and a hint of cinnamon. I like to mix these kinds of toppings with my fingers. It warms up the butter just enough to get nice crumbs. Sure, you’ll have messy hands, but it’s so worth it.
In the end, you’ll have a simple, tasty bread filled with little bites of sweet peaches. It’s just the thing for a sweet breakfast treat or an afternoon snack!
Peach Streusel Bread
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Sweet peaches and a cinnamon streusel make this Peach Streusel Bread irresistible!
For the streusel:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
For the bread:
- 1 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- approximately 1 cup diced peaches*
To make the streusel:
- Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Add the butter, and mix with a fork or your fingers until the mixture forms crumbs. Set aside.
To make the bread:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a standard 9″x 5″ loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, combine the butter, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture. Mix just until combined. Gently stir in the peaches.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Sprinkle the streusel over the top of the bread.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before serving.
*You’ll need 1 or 2 peaches for this recipe. I used one large peach and had right at 1 cup.